Act As — FAQ
The colleges and units have different guidelines for authorizing Act-As Proxy permissions. Normally you can start by contacting your Financial Service Center. They can work with the Authorized Authorizers for your unit to set up the access you need.
Overview of Act As
If you have the right permissions, you can act as someone else and see the PI Dashboard exactly as they see it, including all transaction and labor data. Any changes to "My Accounts", project and account nicknames, or notes you make will be visible to the person you are acting as. This function is typically used by administrative staff to support their faculty.
Choosing Who to Act As
- Menu: A menu in the upper right of the screen allows you to select who to act as. It always shows the name of the person you are actings as (Initially your name).
- URL: People can copy and send the URL of a page in the PI Dashboard. That URL will change who you are acting as to who they are acting as at the time they copied the URL. You can also edit the URL parameter named "actAs=prd9" instead of using the menu. In this case you'd replace prd9 with the netid of the person you want to act as. NOTE: You will get an error message if you try to act as someone for whom you don't have permission.
Requesting Act As Permissions
- Your “Act-As” privileges in the PI Dashboard are the same as in the Accounting (OBIEE) Dashboards
- The colleges and units have different guidelines for authorizing Act-As Proxy permissions. Normally you can start by contacting your Financial Service Center. They can work with the Authorized Authorizers for your unit to set up the access you need.
- Administrators who can "act-as" a faculty member can see what the faculty member sees in the PI Dashboard including labor details they may not see elsewhere.
Who Can Act As You
- Look it up in the Financial Data Access Dashboard. If you don't have access to this dashboard, contact your Research Administrator.
- Eventually this list will be available in the PI Dashboard.
How do PI Dashboard and the Accounting Dashboard Access Models Compare
- Since this is an investigator focused tool, ONLY the PI/AM access privileges are supported. In some cases PI's don't see as much transaction or labor detail on accounts where they are not the account manager.
- The user will see summaries, labor information, and transactions on accounts where they are Account manager
- The user will see summaries on projects and accounts where they are PI
- The following access models that are supported in the accounting dashboards are NOT supported in the PI Dashboard
- Labor access control – Labor data access managed at the college and department level
- Staff accounting – Allows access to all accounts at the university.
- Local account access control – Allows access to specific accounts, or the accounts administered by a specific department or college.